2.2.17 End partisan gerrymandering in your state
The election was rigged
Gerrymandering, the practice of redrawing voting district boundaries to advantage one political party or politician over another, undermines the core values of our democracy, disenfranchises voters, and leads to dysfunctional government. Some states, like California and Arizona, have already instituted alternative (though not foolproof) practices, but with gerrymandering playing a huge role in the 2016 election and Republicans currently introducing redistricting legislation that advantages themselves in Minnesota and Virginia, the time to start fighting this unfair practice in every state is long overdue. Today's call to action: organize now to end gerrymandering in your state.
Learn: get up to speed on redistricting and its effects
- This is actually what America would look like without gerrymandering (Washington Post)
- Democracy Agenda: Redistricting (Brennan Center)
- Gerrymandering [Movie] (Snag Films)
Act: speak up if your state is gerrymandered
- Contact your representatives to demand fair districts
- Find out who in your state is working to end gerrymandering (examples: Fair Districts PA and End Gerrymandering Now [NC]) and join and/or donate to their efforts
- Get help organizing: start with the Reform Gerrymandering Tool Kit
Share: recruit your friends and neighbors to help end gerrymandering
- Share this call to action with your social media contacts
- Post an article from the “Learn” section above to inform others about the redistricting
- Invite your friends to sign up for Project 1461. Tag them in the comments of our Facebook post and ask them to join us!