12.5.16: Stand up for America's Dreamers
Trump's presidency is a threat to young immigrants.
Under Barack Obama, many undocumented immigrants who came to the United States as children were given protections under Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), which provides a path to legal work and deferred action on deportation. Now, with a Trump presidency looming, DACA is in danger, as are the Dreamers who have benefitted from it. Trump has said he'll deport all undocumented immigrants, and his intended Attorney General has stated opposition to even legal immigration. Today's call to action: stand up for young, undocumented immigrants and protect America's Dreamers.
Learn about issues facing Dreamers in Trump's America
- Could Donald Trump really deport millions of unauthorized immigrants? (New York Times)
- At least a few Republicans want to protect undocumented immigrants who came here as kids (Mother Jones)
- 5 important things you need to know about DACA under a Trump presidency (Medium)
- The truth about young immigrants and DACA (New York Times)
Act to protect Dreamers
- Join tonight's United We Dream community call to learn more about their work and get involved in protecting immigrants in your community
- Call your Congressional representatives and say you support Sen. Lindsey Graham's proposed bill to protect Dreamers
- Visit our partner site, #fighttrump, and start a sanctuary campus petition at your college
Share resources that help
- Share United We Dream's DACA guide with people who need it (don't forget teachers and guidance counselors!)
- Sign up to receive United We Dream's newsletter and get important action updates
- Post America has room for the Dreamers on your social media feeds using the hashtag #heretostay to express your support
- Invite your friends to join Project 1461 to help us build our community
Help spread the word!