1.27.17: Stop the Dakota Access and Keystone XL Pipelines
They said this fight wasn't over, and they were right
On his fifth day in office, Donald Trump signed an executive order signaling his intention to revive the Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines, two projects that environmentalists say will have disastrous consequences for the planet. And surprise surprise, Donald Trump may have as much as a $1 million stake in the building of DAPL. The good news is that there's a lot that ordinary Americans can do to stop these projects and support people on the front lines of the resistance. Today's call to action: do your part to stop the construction of harmful oil pipelines.
Learn: why DAPL and Keystone XL are disastrous for our planet
- Trump seeks to revive Dakota Access, Keystone XL oil pipelines (Washington Post)
- Donald Trump and the order of the pipelines (The Atlantic)
- The Keystone XL Tar Sands Pipeline is still a bad idea (Natural Resources Defense Council)
- The legal case for blocking the Dakota Access Pipeline (The Atlantic)
Act: support and join in the resistance to these projects
- This first one is big: find out if your bank is funding DAPL or Keystone XL, then move your money. TD Bank has a $1.6 billion stake in Keystone XL, and there are seventeen banks with financial interests in DAPL.
- Support the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe in its fight to stop DAPL by making a financial contribution, or donate to EarthJustice, an organization supporting lawsuits against the pipeline
- Add your voice to the many petitions and requests for comment opposing DAPL and KX
Share: make sure your friends know this fight isn't over
- Post an article from our "Learn" section on social media with the hashtags #NoDAPL and #NoKXL to make sure your friends know these fights are still going on
- Add your name to the list at Defund DAPL if you're one of the thousands of Americans taking your money out of banks that fund DAPL and Keystone XL
- Have friends in Canada? Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said he supports the Keystone XL revival, so tell them to contact him and state their opposition