12.8.16: Join the #LoveArmy to bring the country forward
It's gonna take a love army.
If you're like us, you'll agree that one of the few heroes that emerged from this election was Van Jones. We've been big fans of Jones' ever since The Green Collar Economy, but over the past year, we've come to rely on his reflectiveness, candor and willingness to stand up to opponents who go low.
Yesterday, Van Jones' organization DreamCorps launched Love Army:
In the coming year, we will be coordinating regular actions and bringing people together in large and small gatherings. We will support #MessyTruth conversations. We will host teach-ins and revivals. We’ll get to know each other, we’ll celebrate together, we’ll support each other. --lovearmy.org
Today's call to action: Join the #LoveArmy and make a commitment to stand with the most vulnerable; act out of love, not fear or hate; and listen with empathy and expect to learn.
Learn how this election has already affected vulnerable populations
- Both feeling threatened, American Muslims and Jews join hands (New York Times)
- Sen. Cory Booker calls on Feds to investigate spike in hate crimes (US News)
- Report: Trump's election led to a surge in hate crime (Forbes)
- Donald Trump and the rise of anti-Muslim violence (The Atlantic)
Act to join the #LoveArmy and support people whose lives are threatened by a Trump presidency
- Watch Van Jones' video about the Love Army, then sign up and take the pledge
- Use this guide for how to respond to Islamophobia when you see it
- Call the Justice Department (202-353-1555) and use our script to tell them you support Senator Booker's call to investigate hate crimes:
"My name is [your name], and I live [your city and state]. I'm calling in support of Senator Cory Booker's call for an investigation into the spike in hate crimes since Donald Trump's election. In the ten days following the election, the Southern Poverty Law Center identified 867 bias-related incidents; this can't be brushed under the rug. Please take action today, on behalf of all Americans, to protect the most vulnerable among us by investigating these incidents."
Share to build the Love Army and grow the movement
- Share your commitment to fighting hate with love on social media and use hashtag #LoveArmy
- Called the Justice Department? Comment on our Facebook to share what happened!
- Comment on our page with other resources that help you stand up to hate